top of page

How Do I Create a Rental Unit On My Property?

Most single family homes in the District of Columbia are allowed to have a rental unit. Rental units are typically in the basement or backyard of the property. They’re sometimes called accessory dwelling units or two-family flats, depending on the zoning rules for your home. All rental units must have a separate entrance, as well as permanent rooms and appliances for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation.

Keywords: homeowners, rental unit, rent my home, rent out, how to rent out my house, extra income


This page was last updated May 2023.

Rental Unit Translations

This resource is provided by:

Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection logo
Department of Buildings logo
bottom of page