top of page

replace a broken heating or cooling appliance?


1. Learn about this resource.

Residents can apply to replace or repair their broken central air conditioning, heating systems, hot water tanks, and chimney liners with more efficient systems. We—DC Government—work with a local nonprofit to pay for the new system and hire a repair person to install it.

This program is called the Emergency Mechanical Systems Program and is offered by the Department of Energy and Environment.

2. Check if you are eligible.

You are eligible if all of these statements are true:

  • You live in a single-family home (or a building with four or fewer units) that you rent or own. 

  • Your home is in DC.

  • Your home is not in foreclosure.

  • And if at least one of these statements is true:

    • Your household receives support from at least one of the following programs: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or​

    • Your household’s annual gross income—your income before paying taxes—is at or below the limits based on your household size. You can check by answering the two questions below.

This resource is provided by:

Keywords: broken appliance, emergency repair, hot water tank, heater, air conditioning, fireplace

This page was last updated October 2022.

Department of Energy and Environment
EMR Translations
bottom of page