top of page

learn how to protect your home from flooding?


1. Learn about this resource. 

Homeowners can get a free assessment of actions they can take to protect their home from flooding.  We—the DC Government—will hire a contractor to visit your home, conduct a detailed survey, and provide you with: 

  • A cost estimate for up to ten flood protection actions ranging from simple actions (for example, like installing safer electrical outlets) to substantial actions (for example, a whole-home elevation).

  • A document explaining the costs and benefits of these actions that could be used to support a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) grant application—a federal government program that provides money for flood-related home improvements.

  • A detailed report that will empower you with the knowledge to pick the best actions for your home. 

  • A FEMA Elevation Certificate containing information that may help reduce your flood insurance premiums.


This program is called FloodSmart Homes and is offered by the District of Columbia Department of Energy and Environment (DOEE), a member of the DC Flood Task Force. 


While DOEE does not currently offer financial assistance with home improvement projects through FloodSmart Homes, we aim to use the information from the assessments to get funding for flood-related home improvements for District homeowners. Getting an assessment now is an important first step toward eligibility for any financial assistance that may be available in the future.

2. Check if you are eligible.

While we aim to provide assessments and secure funding for everyone who expresses interest, you are definitely eligible at this time if all the below statements are true: 

  • You own and live in a one or two unit home.

  • Your home is in the District of Columbia.

  • Your home is in a 100-year floodplain, also known as a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). To find out if your home is in a floodplain/SFHA, do any of the following:

    • Visit the DC Flood Risk Portal website and locate your home:

      • Enter your address in the top right corner of the page. 

      • When the map zooms to your location, note whether your home is located within the “1% Annual Chance Flood Hazard” or “Regulatory Floodway” zones. 

      • If any part of the outline of your home—even a small corner—overlaps with either of these zones, it means you are most likely in an SFHA.  If the location is not immediately clear, click on your home and note the zone designation in the pop-up box.  If your home is in zones “A,” “AE,” “AH,” or “AO,” it means you are most likely in an SFHA.​​

    • Send an email to the Flood Team at

    • Call the Flood Team at (202) 535-2600

This resource is provided by:

Keywords: homeowners, flooding, flood mitigation, retrofit, home improvement, healthy housing

This page was last updated May 2022.

Department of Energy and Environment
RiverSmart Homes Translations
bottom of page