1. Learn about this resource. 

Residents can get financial assistance to reduce their home’s heat, cooling, and electricity use to save money on their utility bills. We—DC Government—can help you figure out what you can do to protect your home from cold, heat, rain, or wind and to improve your home’s energy efficiency. This process is called weatherization and can include work to improve your:

  • Insulation

  • Duct sealing

  • Heating and cooling systems

  • Appliance energy use


We work with a local nonprofit to pay for the weatherization projects and find a repair person to complete on your home. This program is called the Weatherization Assistance Program and is offered by the Department of Energy and Environment.

2. Check if you are eligible.

You are eligible if all of these statements are true:

  • You live in a single-family home (or a building with four or fewer units) that you rent or own. 

  • Your home is in DC.

  • Your home is not in foreclosure.

  • And if one of these statements is true:

    • Your household receives support from at least one of the following programs: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or​

    • Your household’s annual gross income—your income before paying taxes—is at or below the limits based on your household size. You can check by answering the two questions below.

reduce your home’s energy use?


3. Apply.

  1. Start by applying for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), which helps you pay for your utilities. By applying to this program first, we—DC Government—can check that your income is at or below the limits for weatherization assistance. If you already receive LIHEAP, continue to step 2.
    • Gather the following documents for you and each person in your household. At least one of your documents needs to list your full name and DC address to show that you live in DC. Depending on how you apply, you may need to make copies or scan your documents.
      • Photo IDs (like a driver’s license)
      • Social security cards or alien registration numbers
      • Most recent electricity, gas, oil, and/or water bills
      • Recent pay stubs, social security statements, pension statements, unemployment benefits statements, child support statements, and/or tax return (you only need the documents that apply to your situation)
    • Choose one of these options to apply online or by mail:
      • Complete the online LIHEAP application. To start, you'll be asked to create a log-in. Select that you’re interested in weatherization assistance. You’ll need to upload photos or scans of your documents into the application.
      • To apply by mail, print and mail your completed paper LIHEAP application and copies of your documents to The Department of Energy & Environment; 1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor; Washington, DC 20002. If you can't print the application, you can call 311 at any time to ask us to mail you an application. You’ll need to make copies of your documents. Please don’t send the originals.
    • Within 2 business days after we receive your complete LIHEAP application, we will email you to let you know if you’ve been approved for LIHEAP. If you are approved for LIHEAP, continue to step 2 to apply for weatherization assistance.
  2. Complete the application for weatherization assistance.
  3. If you rent your home, we will follow up with your landlord to complete some additional application questions. Depending on their income, we may ask your landlord to pay for some part of the projects.
You can apply at any time.

4. Gather more information.

What happens after I apply?

  1. We—DC Government—will review your Weatherization Assistance Program application.
  2. Within one business day, we will call you to schedule a time to visit your home.
  3. We will visit your home to learn what projects might make your home more energy-efficient.
  4. We will make a list of the projects that will make your home more energy-efficient and find a repair person to complete the work. If you rent your home, we will get approval for the proposed projects from your landlord.
  5. The repair person will complete work on your home within 21 business days after our visit to your home.
  6. DC Government will inspect the work and pay the repair person.
If you are not approved for this program, we will call you and send you an email to let you know. If you are approved for the program but safety issues in your home prevent work from starting right away, you will get instructions to resolve the safety issues first. If you are approved but we don’t have funding to do weatherization right now, we’ll work with you to start your weatherization in the new fiscal year (which starts in October).

Are there any additional requirements I should know about?

If your home has received weatherization assistance from us after 1994, you are not eligible to receive assistance again at this time. If you’re not sure if or when your home received weatherization assistance from us before, apply anyway, and we’ll check our records when determining your eligibility.

Who should I contact if I have questions?

First, take a look at the frequently asked questions at the bottom of the page. If you still have questions, please reach out to our Affordability and Efficiency team at (202) 299-3316, Monday through Friday, from 9 am to 5 pm. Or, you can email LaWanda Jones at lawanda.jones@dc.gov with the subject line, “Weatherization Question.”

I still need help with my utilities. What should I do?

You can find information about other resources that might help on our utilities resources page.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I reapply if my application is not approved?
If your application is not approved because your household income is above the program limits, you can reapply if your income or household size changes. If you rent your home and your application is not approved because your landlord did not want to participate, you can reapply if they change their mind.
Can I reapply if I have received this program before? If your home has received weatherization assistance from us—DC Government—after 1994, you are not eligible to get assistance again at this time. If you’re not sure if or when your home received weatherization assistance from us before, apply anyway, and we’ll check our records when determining your eligibility. If you received weatherization assistance from us before but have now moved to a new home, you can reapply for the program. You can receive assistance again as long as you meet the requirements and your new home did not receive weatherization from us after 1994. I receive food assistance through SNAP (formerly known as food stamps). Does that make me eligible for this program?
If you receive food assistance through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), you’ll need to check if your household's income is below the program limits to see if you’re eligible for this program. Receiving SNAP is not enough on its own to confirm your eligibility for this program. However, if you receive SNAP, you are eligible for help paying your utilities through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). My household doesn’t have any income. How can I prove that? If your household doesn’t have any income, you can submit one of these documents with your application:

  • An notarized income statement,
  • A screenshot of your "Claimant Profile" page on the Department of Employment Services (DOES) website showing that your "Balance" is zero ( see example),
  • A recent letter from your former employer stating that you no longer work there (if you've lost your job but are not yet receiving unemployment benefits from DOES), OR
  • A recent letter from the District of Columbia Housing Authority (DCHA) stating that your household doesn't have any income

Do all eligible applicants get weatherization assistance?

No, funding for weatherization is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Most of the time we have enough funding for everyone who applies, but sometimes applicants need to wait until the next fiscal year (which starts in October).

This resource is provided by:

Keywords: homeowners, renters, make my home energy efficient, income limits. energy bill, reduce energy use, air conditioning, heating, electricity, utility fees

This page was last updated July 2021.

Department of Energy and Environment