top of page

1. Learn about this resource. 

Residents can receive a tax credit for owning and living in a DC home for at least seven consecutive years. The size of the credit depends on the amount of property taxes you paid in the past two years. This credit is called the Lower Income Long-Term Homeowner Credit (or the Schedule L Tax Credit), and is offered by the Office of Tax and Revenue.

2. Check if you are eligible.

You are eligible if all of these statements are true:

  • You own a home or a unit in a cooperative housing association in DC.

  • You have lived in your home for at least seven consecutive years.

  • Your home is in DC.

  • You have paid DC property taxes for your home for the last two tax years.

  • Your property receives the DC Homestead Deduction.

  • Your household’s yearly adjusted gross income—your income before paying taxes—is at or below the limit for  your household size. Count anyone who lives in your house, except tenants, as part of your household. To calculate your income, look on your tax return you filed last year.

reduce your property taxes as a long-term homeowner?


This resource is provided by:

Keywords: long-term homeowners, older adults, seniors, elderly, property tax credit, income limits, reduce property taxes, pay property taxes


This page was last updated May 2021.

OTR Logo_New.jpg
Schedule L Translations
bottom of page