1. Learn about this resource. 

Residents can receive a tax credit of up to $1,200 when they file their annual DC income taxes. The credit amount depends on how much you pay in property tax or rent as well as your income. It is intended to help offset the real property tax you pay on your home either directly to the Office of Tax and Revenue or indirectly as part of the rent you pay to your landlord. This credit is called the Homeowner and Renter Property Tax Credit (or the Schedule H Tax Credit) and is administered by the Office of Tax and Revenue.

2. Check if you are eligible.

You may be eligible if all of these statements are true:

  • You were a DC resident for all of the previous year (January 1st through December 31st).

  • Your federal adjusted gross income—reported on line 4 of your DC income tax return—is $55,700 or less. If you are 70 or older, your federal adjusted gross income is $75,900 or less. 

  • If you are 65 or younger, you are not claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax filing.

  • You own your home and paid DC property taxes in the previous year or you rent your home and paid rent in the previous year.

  • Your home is not exempt from DC real property tax.

reduce your income taxes?


3. Apply.

  1. Complete a Schedule H form with your annual DC income tax return. If you are not required to file a DC income tax return, simply complete a “stand alone” Schedule H and file it on its own.
    • If you are using tax preparation software, like TurboTax, or file electronically, check that you have received the credit by reviewing your PDF return before you file and looking for the Schedule H form.
    • If you are filing by mail with your annual return, send your return and the Schedule H form to the Office of Tax and Revenue at PO Box 96145, Washington, DC 20090-6145.
    • If you are filing by mail and not required to file a return, mail the stand alone Schedule H to the Office of Tax and Revenue at 1101 4th Street, FL 4, Washington, DC 20024.
Apply for this credit by the deadline for income tax filings, April 15. DC has extended the filing deadline to May 17, 2021 for the 2020 tax year.

4. Gather more information.

What happens after I file?

  1. After you file your DC income tax return or a stand alone Schedule H form, you may be contacted by the Office of Tax and Revenue to verify your identity or other information on your tax filings.
  2. If you are eligible and have properly claimed the credit, your credit will be applied to any tax liability you may have or will be refunded to you.
If you’re ineligible, you won’t receive the credit, and the Office of Tax and Revenue will send you a notice letting you know.

Who should I contact if I have questions?

First, take a look at the frequently asked questions at the bottom of the page and the instructions on the Schedule H form. If you still have questions, please reach out to our Customer Service Center at the Office of Tax and Revenue, at (202) 727-4829, Monday to Friday, 8:15 am to 5:30 pm. If you are using tax preparation software (like TurboTax) and need help including the Schedule H form, contact customer service for the software tool.

I still need help paying my property taxes. What should I do?

You can find information about other resources that might help you save on taxes on our resource page.

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I still eligible if I share housing with others? Yes. If you share housing with others, but file separate tax returns, you can claim the Schedule H credit based on your share of the property tax. However, only one person per “tax filing unit” can claim the credit, so if you and your spouse live together, only one of you can get the credit. I had multiple addresses during the previous year. Am I still eligible? Yes, as long as all addresses were for homes, apartments, rooming houses, or condos within DC. You would receive the credit for the address where you were an owner or a renter on December 31st. Can I file my Schedule H form online? If you are eligible to file a stand alone Schedule H form, you can now electronically file it by accessing the MyTax.DC.gov web portal.

Do all eligible applicants receive the credit?

Yes, but you must file a DC income tax return or, if you are not required to file a DC income tax return, just Schedule H as a “stand alone” form to receive the credit.

This resource is provided by:

Keywords: state income tax, file taxes, reduce my taxes, help paying taxes, how to lower taxes, tax credit, homeowners, renters, DC resident, income limits


This page was last updated April 2021.

OTR Logo_New.jpg